“Glycosylation” – Golgi apparatus modifies proteins by adding sugar molecules
Protein processing is another important function of Golgi. The raw proteins synthesized from ribosomes are purely long chains of amino acids. These proteins need to be modified by adding carbohydrate (sugar units) portions to become “glycoproteins”. The prefix “glycol-” means “sugar”.
[In this figure] Type of glycoprotein.
Photo credit: BioProcess.
This article covers
- What is Golgi apparatus?
- What does the Golgi apparatus look like?
- Where is Golgi apparatus located in a cell and how many Golgi apparatus can be found in one cell?
- What is the biological function of Golgi apparatus?
- How Golgi apparatuses divide during cell division?
- Are there human diseases associated with Golgi apparatus dysfunction?
- Where did the name “Golgi apparatus” come from?
- How to see Golgi apparatus under a microscope?