Golgi Apparatus functions as the “Post Office” inside the cells
Golgi apparatus is in charge of the following functions in the cell:
- Golgi is the protein delivery center inside the cells
- Golgi is in charge of adding sugar molecules onto proteins
- Golgi also modifies lipid molecules
- Golgi synthesizes the sugar components of cell walls
Many diseases are associated with the disfunction of Golgi apparatus. Because Golgi apparatus plays a central role in the production and transportation of proteins, even a small error from Golgi apparatus can cause catastrophic consequences.
[In this figure] The structure of Golgi apparatus.
This article covers
- What is Golgi apparatus?
- What does the Golgi apparatus look like?
- Where is Golgi apparatus located in a cell and how many Golgi apparatus can be found in one cell?
- What is the biological function of Golgi apparatus?
- How Golgi apparatuses divide during cell division?
- Are there human diseases associated with Golgi apparatus dysfunction?
- Where did the name “Golgi apparatus” come from?
- How to see Golgi apparatus under a microscope?